Her name...

by - 7:05 AM


Today we were encouraged to do a secret act of kindness and asked about our child's name.  We were told not to tell anything about what we did but to share how it felt.  To be honest, I'm still working on an idea for this.  I have trouble thinking of something that would really be helpful, and how to pull it off secretly.

As for her name.  We chose Abigail Miriam Cunningham.  When we pregnant I spent alot of time writing names.  Different first names, different middle names, rearrange them, say them to see how they fit, write them to see how they look.  Gary doesn't play the name game well.  In fact this last pregnancy, I told him the name I had picked, and told him, unless he just hated it this was the name.  The only name we kept circling around before we lost her was Abigail.  So when she was born, and when she was a daughter, we knew we would name her Abigail.  I wrote about her name, the day we announced her birth.  I feel like I have since then as well, though I can't find it at the moment.

We have always felt it important to give our children a biblical name, someone that is a positive role model for them.  Since we're not going to be naming any of the Jesus, we know that the men and women we name them after were sinners too and make mistakes, but we have always hoped to encourage them toward qualities that we think are important.  I like the story of Abigail in the Bible.  Yes she picked a bad husband, but she's wise, quick thinking, and not afraid to completely humble herself to save others.  That makes her beautiful in the eyes of David, and she wins favor in his sight.  It mean's "my father's joy" which she undoubtably would have been.  One of the things I've always loved about having children, is watching Gary with them.  I fall more in love with him every day, watch him wrestle with them, answer questions patiently, share with them things that are important to him.  He loves them and enjoys them so much.

I've also long loved the name Miriam, but Gary doesn't care for it, so he's never let me use it before.  Sometimes I only think he let me use it this time, because he knew he wouldn't have to holler her full name to get her to come in the house.  It has several meanings in Aramaic it has my favorite meaning, "longed for child" and I will always long for her.  In Hebrew it means "bitter" which also fits the circumstances.  I like her story in the Bible too though.  Miriam from a child was brave, she was proactive in protecting her brother and willing to put herself forward to the daughter of Pharaoh.  She's enthusiastic in her service to God.  While her emotions get her in trouble when Moses picks out a wife she doesn't like, she does repent of her actions.  I have always imagined her has a passionate and fiery woman.

While I don't know who our Abigail is, I like to imagine her with those qualities.  Wise, but passionate, beautiful and fiery, with a great love and devotion for God.

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts