3 Years with Britt

by - 11:45 PM

Britt,


Today you are 3 years old. Happy Birthday, little man! Even as I type this I can hear you say, "I not a wittle man, Momma. I a wittle boy!" You are full of mischief and are constantly telling us what you do and don't like and often push the line to determine you can stretch the boundaries of acceptable behavior. We butt heads often, mostly when you conveniently don't hear what I said. (Ahna is probably laughing as she reads this, and Grumps will say something to the effect of, "I'm glad those days are behind us now.") But as your Daddy has pointed out, you decline to obey in such a well mannered way. Just a couple of nights ago, when I asked you if you were ready for a bath you replied, "No, I'm playing right now. Sorry, Momma." You didn't say it with a mean thought or a bad attitude, just a matter of fact, no I'm busy right now. After saying you were sorry, you reach over and patted my knee, as if to comfort me.

You are the most loving little man for all your stubbornness. You are quick to run to Ruth when she is crying and rub her hair and say "What's wrong Roof? Don't cry!" in your most concerned voice. When I don't feel well, you are quick to come and cuddle and pat my arm and say, "I wuv you too Momma." Somewhere in the last few months your "super independent do it all myself" outlook on life, did a sudden 180 and became "Momma must do everything for me." While it is wonderful to be needed, I'm pretty sure you are more than capable of picking up your toys without help, and eating your food without my assistance.

I know that you are a bright and capable little boy, you are eager to approach any challenge, and dislike being told that you can't do something or that you are too little. You often tell me that you are not a baby any more if I try to tell you that you are too little to do something. And after all, you are a good helper, as I often tell you. You can load laundry like a pro, even if I have to help distribute it around the agitator since you can't actually see over the top of the washer. I have to watch you carefully, since when you put a load in, you'll start on the next load too, if I don't stop you. You can open the drier and carry everything to the couch to be put away now, and I have caught you unloading it a time or two after the bell went off, even when they might need to go another round. You are a pro at washing dishes now. Infact, it's pretty rare for me to have to go back and wash out one of your cups behind you now. Of course, washing dishes often turns into a free for all with water and suds going everywhere. Each day you feed Mara, with a little help in opening the door and scooping the feed at the bottom of the bag. Then we go and you check on the chickens. While I rinse out their water bucket, you like to throw feed in the pen. And after I lift the eggs out, you can carry them back to the house without breaking them. At night you love to help Daddy cook. You stand on your little chair/stool, and he lets you mix things and shake things to your hearts content. You are quick to go and get Ruth a toy, if only to trade because you want what she has.

Your sister and you have a special bond. You lay and watch movies together or play side by side. You wrestle in the cardboard box, that you have named "Mine home." Other than your attempts to completely soak her in the bathtub each night, you play really well together. Often if I let you do something different while she is napping you want her to play too. You will go in the room you two share a hundred times during naptime, until she finally wakes up, and you shriek, "You wake up now Ruth. We can play!" Naptime is beginning to fade from your life. You promise each day to take a nap in exchange for a cup, and as soon as it is downed you come to tell us that "I wake up now!" Sometimes we get a late evening nap, but not always.

Son, you are bright, energetic child, with lots of love (especially for cows). You are a wonder to behold in action. You are trying and exhausting. I very often wonder, what in the world goes on in your head. You laugh your manic laugh often, and think your jokes are amazing... especially the one where I ask you who someone is, and you always reply with the wrong name (usually Daddy or Grumps). You will do almost anything for cookies. You are the most wonderfully endearing person and the child most likely to drive me crazy. I hope you never lose your wonder at the world, your drive, and your enthusiasm. I do hope you learn over the years to train that will of yours. Determination and a strong will are wonderful traits if you can learn to direct them. A water hose left running in the yard will just make a muddy mess, but a water hose with a tight nozzle and a little aim, can carve a mini grand canyon in the flowerbed. If you can tame and direct that will you can do anything you set your mind to accomplish.

Your Daddy and I look forward to watching you grow into the man you will one day become, and we love you dearly.

Love,
Momma

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts