Our Little Home

by - 2:36 PM


I love our little home. I fell in love with the yard before I even saw the inside. Which was probably good cause the inside needed lots of love.  And we've done so much work on the inside since we moved in. In fact the only thing that hasn't been painted is the kitchen cabinets, bathroom walls, and the exterior doors. But we haven't done much outside. About this time last year, Gary yanked out all the overgrown shrubbery that was planted way too close to the house, and the girls to took their money to make themselves a faerie garden and a butterfly garden, in their own little areas.  And they made pretty little areas even if there have been times I have had to go out and pulled foot tall weeds because they let it go for about a month.



But, as you might guess, I have been itching to do more. This year we took some Money and started on some of the tree work that needed to be done. The mulberry that was dead in the center of the back yard has come down, and the stump grinder should be by next week. The neighbors oak that was touching the sidewalk on our side has been trimmed up to clear the power lines it was tangled in. Two trees that had mostly come down in the back corner during the Hurricane have been cut up and carried away. All that is left is to finish shaping them up and the palm in the front.  We are going to save up some more money and shape up the Banyan trees in the front yard next. They had so much damage from the Hurricane, and this week two more branches that were damaged fell out of the tree.




But yesterday, I went on a missing for the front porch. I wanted a Boston fern, that I promised Gary I wouldn't kill this time. Some succulents for a pot I already had, since those things are pretty impossible to kill. And one other taller pot for the front porch. While we were at Lowes, Britt found some orange flowers he couldn't live with out. And since I love all kinds of Lilies we got them. Then of course I needed something to go with them in the front flowerbeds. As we went to check out Rebecca insisted that she should get to pick out some purple flowers too. I ended up spending all my budget, so I am going to have to wait on mulch, but we put it in the ground last night, and I think it looks wonderful, even if I thought I was going to died of heatstroke before we finished up.



 Gary started painting the house for me back in December. I think the blue makes the white brick look so pretty. He has got to finish the cutting in still around the faerie garden and the AC unit, but it looks great from the front. We still haven't settled on a trim color. I am thinking black shutters (we still need to replace one from the Hurricane) and black on the metalwork under the carport to cover the confederate blue. Then maybe white up around the eaves. Still no consensus on the front door. I'd like to replace it with one with a big piece of glass to let in more light, but Gary isn't going for the price tag. Anyway, he has hung some pictures and things for me this week, such as moving my flag holder to the front porch, so my next flag won't fade in the sun so fast, or get beat to death in the constant wind. Beautiful day, with my beautiful helpers.


It's a work in progress, but it's a our work in progress. And for the first time all the work we do to try to pretty up a place to make it feel more like home is for us not for someone else's property.




You May Also Like

0 random thoughts