Spring Break Beach Trip

by - 7:10 PM




For the third year in a row, Mother and Daddy came down on her spring break to see the grandkids.  They come down once, sometimes twice a year.  When they come we try to make it over to Anna Maria Island one afternoon to play, fly kites, and watch the sunset.  This year the visit was pretty short, but going to the beach was still on the agenda.  Friday afternoon we headed over to the island.  It was pretty overcast and a little windy that day, so the sunset was no go, but everything else was.
















First item of business was to get the kites up.  Mother and Daddy brought Britt a Lighting McQueen kite, so they got it all put together and blown up (really, I had never seen an inflatable kite till this one, I guess it's suppose to make it easier to keep up or something).   Then Mother stood back with Britt and they let it go.  Britt wasn't sure what he was suppose to do next, but Daddy called him over, gave him the handle and they flew the kite together.  Britt seemed to like it and had fun.  Daddy told me that when he was done though, he just dropped the handle, haha.  Ruth really liked watching the kites too.  She would yell, and point and make sure that you saw that exciting thing too.  She has a new very clear word now - Kite!  Daddy put his box kite together after that, and he laid on the beach and flew his kite.
















Mother and I walked the beach looking for any intact shells.  It was low tide, but we didn't find a whole lot.   Whenever we go to the beach she gets some to carry back and show her class.  I know that she likes shells, so I always look for unusual colors or big shells to carry home to her when I go.  Britt and Ruth walked with us.  Britt was looking for starfish and moose, but we didn't find either.



While we were out walking, I noticed that the shoreline has gone further out than even the last time we were there about 4 weeks ago.  There is a second little pool that has been cut off from the ocean.  The kids loved that little pool.  Because it was fairly shallow, a little more than knee deep on me, it was considerably warmer.  Don't get me wrong, the water was actually alright this trip.  I'll like it alot better about June, but it was warm enough, but this tidal pool, was almost like bathtub water.
















Before heading out we of course had to stop to write Britt's name in the sand.  I had him spell it for me, before I wrote it down.  According to him his name is spelled BRT, and Ruth's name is spelled RH.  We spelled Grumps, Ahna and Momma, in the sand too (because of course my name isn't actually Danielle or anything, in fact last trip when I went to write Danielle in the sand, he corrected me because Momma doesn't start with a D).  We also drew a gator in the sand, which the kids stomped on and killed much to Daddy's amusement.  We attempted a group picture before we left, but it didn't work so well.

















After we finished up at the beach, we decided to go and get some supper.  We had been to the Sandbar before, which Gary and I love, but they have decreased the amount of food on a plate (aka we can't split one any more), and the last few times the service has been horrible.  We had also tried the Beach House once before, but I'm thinking that's where we all spent the night sick to our stomachs.  So we set off on an adventure.  One place we were in a 20 min line for parking, then had to wait to eat, so we decided we'd drive down to the next island, Long Boat Key, and see what they had.  They have some seriously fancy houses but no restaurants.  We ended up in Sarasota, when we turned around.  Another  place it was an hour wait to be seated, so we started back up to Anna Maria.  Gary suggested a place, but when we got there, you had to have a restaurant.  I told Britt we were on an adventure to get something to eat, and he decided that our big adventure was actually a "ba-venture".  This afternoon when we left Church on our way back to our house, he asked me, if we were going on a ba-venture to get lunch.  I'm blaming all the craziness on Gary, because he didn't come with us.  Strange things always happen when I attempt to navigate us around the island without him.

















We finally ate Burger King at about 9pm, and laughed ourselves silly.  Now, it might have just been because we were hungry and tired, but there was alot of funny things going on at that restaurant.  Britt wanted tea with his meal, so I got him some tea.  Then when we sat down, Ruth wanted some too, but Britt didn't want to share anymore, so I let her have a few sips of my Dr. Pepper.  I carried Britt to the bathroom, and then came back and found my coke half gone.  I thought I know I didn't let her have that much.  Well Daddy had been drinking mine.  At that point Britt decided he didn't want tea anymore he wanted coke, so he took my cup and Ruth took his tea.  Daddy was laughing about us sharing germs and Mother said, "Why do you think I'm keeping my cup way over here."  I laughed at her, and told her whatever cold me and the kids have, Daddy's got the germs, and when you kiss him tonight, you will too.  The merry go round of drinks was just one of several things that happened where Daddy and I would look at each other and say something to the effect of "It's amazing what you will do to pacify kids."

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts