Playing in the Rain

by - 12:51 PM


I'm one of those mothers.  You know the ones that don't let their kids going running through mud puddles because that means additional work for me in the form of washing clothes and shoes and scrubbing tile floors.  I have trouble with letting them do things that result in extra work for me.  Not to mention the inevitable colds the come from running around in wet clothes in cold rain.  Last Thursday the rain came in, and the kids were getting a little stir crazy, so when the weather lifted I threw them outside (of course with the supervision of Grumps and Ahna).  After I got supper stuff situated I headed out with them, thinking I had just enough time to go and pick a few oranges with them to feed the cows, and then I could finish meal prep and get them a bath.  Well in the middle of our impromptu trip, the rain started back up.  We all hid underneath Bro. Tommy and Sis. Barbara's pump shed for about 15 mins until it quit, but Britt had other plans.  He ran around in circles, jumped through puddles and yelled about how excited he was to be getting wet.  For once I let him.  I will confess when we got them back home, I stripped them outside and carried them to the bathtub.  After all there was no reason to have to mop the floor twice in one day.



Thursday night we were blessed to have Bro. Chris, Sis. Lydia, Grandmaw, and Mom over for supper with my parents.  Everything went surprisingly well, especially considering that I did the cooking.  I'm not the cook in this family, as everybody knows.  It was my first time to cook a ham, and we had green beans, strawberry spinach salad, and  Gary got home from working just in time to finish up the grilled squash and zucchini that he does so well.  For desert we had a pumpkin pie.  Mother makes the best pumpkin pies ever, and I was going to bake one from her recipe, but Gary talked me into using one of the frozen store bought pies we had at the last minute.  It was a good move, I couldn't have thrown any thing else together that day.



We always have a good time with our church family and this time was no exception.  Britt was so tuckered out that he managed to sleep through the entire thing, so Ruth got everyone to herself.  She filled up Bro. Chris's boots with toys, and he decided to try to teach her that Britt was Bubba.  I term I personally HATE, and that of course, she is saying clear as day now.  Supper was just a good excuse to visit together.

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts