Yardwork and Chickens...

by - 7:53 PM

Sorry for the lack of post this week, but we have been very busy since getting home. I had intended to blog about the meeting last weekend, the chickens, the baby, and of course let Britt blog, and some of those I still hope to cover, but my, how busy we have been!
There is always the mound of housework to be done after any trip - mounds and mounds of laundry (about half of which Mom did when she kept Britt on Tuesday - thanks!), cleaning the house top to bottome (once again thanks to Mom the kitchen wasn't on that list), and then yesterday we got a new fridge. Well, it was new for us. Aunt Lisa was selling some of her old appliances - and Bro. Chris and Sis. Renee agreed to buy the old fridge so that we could use it. It's nice! It's big and roomy and the freezer holds 3 times as much as the old one, and the fridge holds almost twice as much. Can you tell I'm just a little excited. :D
Aside from doing laundry, cleaning up the house, and getting a new fridge (new for us, thank you A. Lisa), the bulk of our week has been working out in the yard. We mowed for the first time this year, and boy did it need it. 4 foot sticky weeds had taken over my flower beds, so Britt helped me clean those out.
Ok, so he mostly dug holes in my weeded beds, but he did throw the leaves out of the bed... most of the time. He also loves to follow the chickens around. Since I've been back home, I let the chickens free-range in the yard for an hour or two before dark. They are suppose to lay better, and taste better if they get to free range, and since their run is a bit too small for them they seem to enjoy it better. Britt loves to follow them around in the afternoon. He points to them as soon as he sees them and says "Cluck, cluck" For the most part they just ignore him, and he doesn't bother them, just likes to watch.
Speaking of the chickens, I left for Alabama know that I had one rooster, and came back to discover that my barred rocks were considerably whiter, with massive combs and wattles. If I didn't know better I would think that someone had taken my sweet hens and replaced them with roosters. They still follow me around and are gentle as can be, so I know they are indeed mine. We certainly didn't need 4 roosters, so we sold three today at a Chicken Swap/Shop and one we are giving to Aunt Joanna and Uncle Quintin. Hopefully the hens will start laying anyday. From talking with the "chicken experts" our two Rhode Island Reds look red, but the Easter Eggers will be a little longer. So sad, since I wanted to carry a few blue and green eggs to church for the kiddos tomorrow.

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts