Ruth and Neela's Great Adventure

by - 2:50 PM

If you could be in the Heraea (the female version of the Olympics in Ancient Greece)
what event would you participate in?

One morning, my dog Neela was barking strangely at something by the front door.  I know it wasn't a chariot, because I hadn't heard any hooves.  So when I went there, she got quiet, and nothing was there.  But when I reached down to pet her there was a message in her mouth.  It said, "You have been invited to be one of people to compete in the Heraea.  Congratulations."   I was struck with excitement, I never thought I would ever be able to compete in the Heraea.  I had only watched in the past.  I told Neela good girl, and that I would sneak her into the room were all the competitor get ready.  I would be competing in the pole vaulting races in three more days.

The Heraea had a whole bunch of people there in a giant stadium.  With people from every corner, even though there were no corners.  So Neela gave me my pole, and gladly I am going last.  Person after person, tried to jump over the 6 ft whatever it's called.  Finally after every single competitor, it was may turn to try to vault over the 6 ft pole.  I was running as fast as I can. AHUHUHUHUHUHUH.  I finally used the stick and leapt over it.  My sandal on my left foot barely rubbed against it.  I got across and landed on my feet.  Most of the other contestants fell as they hit the bar, or landed on their head.  But I got across and ran for the finish line.  The crowd went wild.  I finished the race in first.  I got a little wreath crown, and I put it on right away.  Neela got a big, big bone.  She howled, howled, and howled with everyone clapping and yelling.

(Ruth is convinced that some races would have included pole vaulting, that at least some of the cool competitions would have existed back then, even if swimming didn't.)  The End.

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts