Why I Plan

by - 12:36 PM


By request, I'm doing a series of planning post.  For my first post, I'll just tackle the question of why I plan.  This is a question I get asked a fair amount in a world where people enter everything into their phones, why would I use a pen and paper for planning?  Leave me any questions, and I'll use them for future planning post.

Homeschool Planning Post 1:  What am I Planning for Again?
Homeschool Planning Post 2:  Getting Your Planner Organized
Homeschool Planning Post 3:  Setting Yearly Goals
Homeschool Planning Post 4:  Setting Appropriate Goals
Homeschool Planning Post 5:  How in the World do I Choose Curriculum?
Homeschool Planning Post 6:  Yearly Scheduling
Homeschool Planning Post 7:  How Do You Eat an Elephant? A Guide to Long Range Planning
Homeschool Planning Post 8:  Daily Scheduling
Homeschool Planning Post 9:  Lesson Planning


People who know me in real life, know I'm pretty organized, in fact we often joke that I carry it a bit far and I'm kinda OCD about it.  I tell people all the time, "If it's not in the planner, it's not happening."  Apparently I'm not the only one though, studies have shown that using a planner works as a file system for your brain in two ways.  First, it frees up processing space, allowing you to not try to hold everything in your brain at once, so you can put it in your planner, and go on to be productive in whatever else you are doing.  Secondly, it actually increases the likelihood that you will remember things.  There is a link between hearing, seeing, and writing down information, that strengthens your memory, so for that reason alone, I strongly prefer a written planner to an electronic version. (For just a few of the studies that explore this see herehere, and here.)


I use 2 planners, and I'll give you a rough overview of how I use them.  The first is my Erin Condren Life Planner.  It goes everywhere I go.  Before I get a new purse I make sure that it has enough room for my planner, because I'm not kidding when I say it goes everywhere with me.  This is the planner that I use for everything that I need to keep track off - the kids ball schedules, family medical appointments, Gary's rain watch schedule, Church meetings, vacation plans.  If it can go on a calendar it's in there.  I also have a ton of note pages at the back, where I plan out where we are in the Dave Ramsey Baby Steps, what I'm buying for Christmas, the list of books I've read over the course of the year, and my cycle.  On the weekly spreads I keep a running to do list, do some habit tracking, and I journal.  I have long since figured out that (and one of the studies cited above verifies my independent experience) journaling makes me a saner person to be around.  I'm sure that it's cheaper than therapy too, though Gary might argue that due to how much I spend on my planner decorations. Ha!  I enjoy decorating my planner.  This is something I only began doing about 5 years ago now.  It makes it more likely that I will keep up with it, because it's fun.  It's also a creative outlet for me.  With all these kids, I don't have time to scrapbook, paint, or create very often these days.  But I can spare a little time in the evening to plan with some washi and stickers, and it's a huge pick me up.


The second planner I use is for homeschooling.  I have used several throughout the years.  This year I have been using an Erin Condren Life Planner, but I'm going back to the Erin Condren Teacher Planner for next year.  I use our homeschool planner in a variety of ways.  I use it for lesson planning.  While some homeschoolers don't do lesson planning, I find for me it helps me to be more productive.  With three kids, I can't afford to waste time between lessons figuring out what should be done next, or realizing the project I had thought about doing today, can't be done because I don't have some of the things I need.  I have also used it in the last couple of years for some yearly planning and goal setting.  I resisted doing this for a long time, but now this is an important part of what I do every summer.  Because I really want to be sure that at the end of the year, we have covered the things that I deemed most important, and didn't get caught up in a bunch of small busy work.  My biggest use for it though, is as a key component in our portfolio.  Though Florida isn't near as intensive as PA was, there are still some things that we need to track to prove education progress, such as to "Maintain a log of educational activities which is made contemporaneously with the instruction and which designates by title any reading materials used..."  So rather than keep a separate reading list or papers for our portfolio, since I'm writing lesson plans anyway, this doubles to met that portfolio requirement.


If you want to try out an Erin Condren planner, or any of her products, use my referral link and we both get a $10 discount on our next order.

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts