Thursday, May 25, 2017


Katherine Hope

Gary and I were a bit discouraged at our Monday doctor's appointment to find out that my contractions had done much, and that Kate was still pretty high.  Dr. Leo strongly recommended giving it another week, but after talking about it we talked about revisiting the issue on Thursday.  I went up to see him again Wednesday morning, and saw very little change.  He still recommended waiting, but we had decided that we wanted this baby here by Thursday night one way or the other.  He warned of the increased likelihood of needing a c-section, and told us to be prepared for a 24 to 48 hour labor not one of my short labors.  He scheduled us to come in Wednesday at 4 to start the process overnight, and said he'd see us about 5 on Thursday morning.

The nurses all thought he was crazy to schedule an overnight induction for a fifth pregnancy, particularly with my speedy delivery history.  But I didn't want to get my hopes up.  Within a few hours we had regular contractions, by 9 I told Gary there was no way we'd be sleeping tonight.  When I reached a 6 and my water broke even though she was still at a station -3 (WAY up high), and the nurse called Dr. Peterson who was on call to come right away.  In less than an hour Kate was born, and this time Gary didn't have to catch.  Dr. Peterson, told everyone that he doesn't know why Dr. Leo scheduled an induction for his night on call, instead on his own night on call. haha.  Dr. Leo came in this morning, shocked, and said he's never going to live this down.  They all were giving him a pretty hard time as he left this morning.

Katherine was born at 11:24, May 24th, 2017.  She weighed 8 lbs 12 oz, which makes her our heaviest baby to date.  She was 20 inches long, same as Rebecca.  She has a head full of dark hair, and is the spitting image of Ruth and Gary with her Cunningham ears, the flat rounded nose, and big ole cheeks.  She also has the same squish eyes as Ruth.  She doesn't care to open them much, but they look dark blue like the others did.  They did some extra blood sugar test over night since she is in the 93% for her gestational age.  The first one came back a little low, but the rest have been fine.  She has actually nursed quite a bit - nearly an hour the first time, and about 5-10 minutes every hour for the next 3. which was a surprise, I can't recall any of the others doing so well so quickly.  She is sleeping away right now.  They expect to release us tomorrow morning first thing.

No comments: