Four Months with Ruth

by - 10:02 PM

Ruth,

You are now four months old, and we have started to settle into more of a routine. Each morning you wake up around 6:30 or 7 for a morning snack, then we cuddle and doze in bed while Daddy gets ready to leave for class. Britt wakes up around 7:30, and right before Daddy leaves he changes Britt's diaper and gets him a cup of milk. Britt then plays in his room for about 30 mins or so before he opens the door and tells us "HEY!" You then sleep on the bed while I get Britt dressed, carry him downstairs, start Jungle Book and provide him a bowl of Cheerios. I usually fix myself a bagel or a bowl of cereal, which Britt helps me eat, and check my email and the like. You usually wake up around 10 and I go upstairs to change your diaper, get you dressed, and then we come downstairs and I feed you. After you eat a long while you generally sleep in the bouncer for a while, often until it's time to carry Britt upstairs for his nap. Sometimes you wake up sooner, and "laugh" and grin at Britt's antics. Generally Britt is corraled to his room between 2 and 4ish. During which time you get to play on your belly while I clean and do things around the house, or we sit in Daddy's recliner all snuggled up. Depending on Daddy's school schedule that day, he might be home at 1 or 2 or 4. About 4 you are ready to eat again, and then Britt gets up. Until 7 or 8 you alternate between cat naps and complaining that no one is paying you enough attention and flirting to be picked up. At 8 Daddy give Britt a bath, if he's getting one that night, while I feed you. Between 9 and 9:30 he heads to bed and you are wide awake, more so than at any other time of day. Generally around 11 or so Daddy gives you a bath, and then I feed you until you fall asleep between 11:30 and midnight.

Most nights you stay asleep all night, and more and more we are able to get you to sleep in the cradle. Some nights you still wake up to eat, and sometimes you have to be put in the swing to get you to sleep, but you are doing much better. After we get back home from Christmas in Alabama and New Year's in Plant City, we are going to try to move you to the crib. You have been in our room MORE than long enough, and you have figured out how to rock the cradle by yourself. Infact, the other night you moved around in it until you were sideways and had your feet propped up on the side. If I didn't know better I would have thought you were trying to get out.

Oh, and we can forget any assumptions I ever might have had about you being the more serious child. While you didn't smile as early as Britt, and I had to work so much harder for those smiles, that isn't remotely indicitive of your personality now. You are such a flirt. Daddy thinks that you are more of a flirt than your brother was now. He can just look at you and you are already grinning.

You have completely given up your pacifier as well. I'm going to pack them for the trip to Alabama just incase you change your mind in the car, but your right thumb is your constant companion. Daddy doesn't like it much, but I think it's right cute, and one of these days you'll give it up. Ahna pointed out last time she was down, that you are a third generation thumb sucker. Momma quit sucking her thumb when some little boy made fun of her in kindergarden, so I'm not too worried about it. It's not stopping you from talking at all. You have upgraded from basic cooing to consenant sounds, I heard a distinct "da-da" a week or two ago, so I guess I better start working on "ma-ma." You seem to be talking more way sooner than Britt did. I don't know if it's true or if time with you seems to pass much faster than it did with Britt.

You each have your own strengths and weaknesses. Britt would stand for the longest time in your lap at this age, but you put no weight on your legs. You can sit for nearly a minute without support now, but Britt didn't start that till just after 5 months. It's continually amazing to me how unique each of you are, even at this early age. You are growing in leaps and bounds, and continue to be delightful child.

Love,
Momma

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts