Deuteronomy

by - 11:14 AM

So this week I finished up reading Deuteronomy and according to the chronological bible reading list I followed that with Psalm 91.  I'm not really sure why they put Psalm 91 next, according to what I was able to find online, no one knows who wrote it, or exactly when, but it's an older psalm with some of the same themes as the song God tells Moses to record in Deuteronomy 32.

I've always had trouble getting through Deuteronomy, by the time that you get there it's the third time through some of the material.  I know it's important, but it's hard to get stuff out of the law service sometimes when we know it's been fulfilled.  Chapter 32, and then Psalm 91 really stuck out to me this time.  They both have some pretty imagery to describe God's relationship to us.  He is our rock, our steady, constant, dependable God.  He is nothing like all the false "god." Both talk about how when we don't obey that he punishes His people.  The great part is toward the end though, where we are told if we turn back to Him,repentent, and seek Him, He will always avenge and protect His people.

There is something about Psalm 91, that I think I'm missing.  I read it through several times the other night, but I think I'm still missing something.  In the beginning it sounds like the "thee" is a child of God speaking about how he takes care of us, but then at the end it sounds like the speaker, the "thee" is Christ.  I'm still trying to puzzle out exactly what it's saying.  I don't see where the voice changes in the psalm, but it's been on my mind lately. Even if I don't completely understand the meaning, I really like the 14th verse, "Because he hath set his love upon me, therefore will I deliver him: I will set him on high, because he hath known my name."

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts