Friday, January 04, 2008


I have asthma. I don't know if I've ever mentioned it before. It kinda sprang up out of nowhere a few years ago. It was February-ish 2006. I was sick, and wasn't willing to skip class to go to the infermery. Yes, yes, I know I'm a nerd. Then in a week I was so sick I couldn't go to class. After a few days of that, a friend or two literally carried me to the car (complaining the whole way that I would be fine in another day or two) and down to the infermery. To make a long story short (I know, too late) I had acute bronchitis. In another week, I had asthmatic bronchitis. Ever since then I have had asthma.

Asthma is not fun. Before asthma I did all sorts of things. I played softball and I ran Cross Country. I wasn't ever great or anything, but it was fun and it was exercise. Since the asthma, I can't run a quarter of a mile without seriously dragging on my emergency inhaler. I have had several major attacks that mean I get to go and visit the hospital (which I might also note is absolutely no fun). Anyway, my doctor in Alabama had decided it was time to see a specialist back in March, since we couldn't get it under control, and all we knew is that I am allergic to cigerette smoke. However, since I was getting married and moving to Florida I saw no point in starting with someone up there and then moving. So I figured a few more months wouldn't hurt.

I finaly got in to see Dr. Price last Friday. Come to find out (170 needles later) that I am not allergic to a single thing... well, except maybe a little to ragweed. Instead I have asthma and non-allergenic rhinitis. Basically it means something to the effect that my bronchial tubes are particually sensitive to things in 7 areas: smoke, gasoline, arosal sprays, perfume, cold weather, sudden changes in temperture and humidity, and something else I can't really remember. So he changed all my medicine around and I reckon we'll see if that helps any.

One the other hand, since I had to go off my meds for a week before he could test me, I have gotten bronchitis. Never fun, it has been particually annoying since the one cold day of the Florida year was yesterday. Laugh if you like, it was actually below freezing here. Also since I was involved in a massive water gun fight (I'll get to this in the next blog perhaps) I have the beginnings of ear infections. Joy. I feel like a little kid again. haha.

Anyway, several have been asking about me, and that's the update.

1 comment:

strem said...

I pray you have great results with the new meds. I discovered I had asthma in college, and it developed because the college town has a huge soybean factory within its limits. The soybean dust was everywhere, and the doctors said it was common for many folks to develop asthma. So, I had to be rushed to the emergency room quite a bit. (You're correct. Not fun.) Thankfully, the worst of it went away when I moved away from there. Since then I've found out I have many allergies, but they haven't affected me in any way like those soybeans.