Chicks

by - 11:08 AM


The weekend after the Fellowship Meeting was over, Daddy and Britt went to town to get some more chicken feed for our chickens while Momma and I stayed home to do a little housework. (I was very helpful you know, I used my monkey to dust the bottom shelves while she worked on the higher shelves. Daddy came back and said with each bag of feed you bought, you got a free chick. So we all loaded up and went down to the Ace Feed Store, and Momma picked out two Americauna chicks, that will lay green eggs when they get bigger. We named the darker one Alma, and the one that looked more like a chipmunk we named Aurora.

















Well, Alma didn't quite make it a week, she got a clogged vent, and Momma found out too late to save her. Chicks don't do well alone so Momma went out and found a Buff Orphington chick which we named Blanche. They are doing well and are getting big. Britt barely wants to touch their backs, and always says to himself, "Gentle. Don't touch their beaks." Me, I'm loving them. Momma warns me from time to time that I'm too rough, but they seem to like me too. Today, Momma moved them out of their brooder box into the little coop and run permanently since they are now a month old. She has carried them out a time or two to let them play outside. I don't like that I can't reach them through the run now, Momma says I'll get over it.

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts