My First Father's Day

by - 12:05 PM

Hey Britt,

This Sunday you will be 5 months old, and alot of things have changed since we found out that your mother was pregnant last year. We put alot into planning for you before you ever got here: the bedroom set up, clothes for you to wear, toys for you to play with as you got older, not to mention all the Bradley classes and health stuff so that you would be as healthy as possible.

It has definitely been different for me to hold someone so fragile who only weighed 7 lb. 12 oz, but who now weighs over 14 lbs, and to watch you grow not only physically but to see your expressions and personality develop. Actually I'm very thankful that so far, we have been blessed with a strong and healthy baby boy. Though at times you have been difficult, you have (for the most part) been an easy going baby. You have a good routine for us in the morning, you wake up in the morning and I change you before I carry you to Momma for breakfast. You seem to have a very calm and happy demeanor. I enjoy it so very much when you stand up in my lap. You have grown so strong that you stand for long periods of time and only need my hands for balance.

It means so much to me that you seem to be happy. Even when you tend to be fussy or crying for attention you seem to have a big grin on your face the second we walk up to you to talk to you. I hope this is a good sign, that we are doing something correct. I have already failed many times, but I hope to be there to encourage you and instruct you as the days pass. It's so hard to believe that you are already 5 months old. It seems like it was just yesterday that I held you for the first time, and looking at all your little fingers and toes, commenting on what a tiny little face you had. Now you have grown so much, and if I didn't look back at the pictures I'm not sure how I would have noticed. You mean so much to me. Your happiness and safety mean the world to me.

One thing that I hope I am able to teach you is honesty, because honesty is more than just doing the right thing, than being responsible. It's an action yes, but it's also a way of thinking. Also, being an honest man means that when you say something you mean it and if you don't mean it you don't say it. There are things in the world that you can't change, but the way that you act and think, and to treat other people with respect is your responsibility, what you do is no ones fault but your own. Your word should mean something; you can have a positive, if not a constructive example for others. I hope and pray that I can be a strong example of an honest man for you.

I am thankful for the Lord's blessing - a loving wife and a healthy boy. Sometimes I can't even begin to comprehend or explain how the Lord has blessed me, and not just the big things but the little things. The time we spend together each night and early in the morning. Singing you to sleep with "Amazing Grace." I just want you to know that I love you very much.

Daddy

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts