Designs From Dani

by - 9:37 PM

Some of you may know that I really enjoy to crochet. I originally picked it up from Mrs. Mead our Home Ec teacher, and made my Mother a dish towel and rag. Both of which I now think a just a little lacking in quality, but still have an honored place back home on top of the tv, under some picture frames. I eventually graduated to make one special person a blanket just for them every year at Christmas... well, except this year. I mean, come on, I was about to have baby.

In college, I made a friend a scarf while on campus, and someone else saw me, and offered to pay me for a scarf I would have made for free. That was the beginning of a very brief business, that I actually made a profit at. Each fall and winter for three years, I'd make enough to not just support my addiction to buying yarn, but to help buy groceries. After all, college students do like to eat. I would walk around crochet between classes, sitting in the Student Union Building, and just hanging out. The more people that saw me crocheting the more orders I got. I even managed to get a local store and the English Department to display and sell them for me. I even started getting orders for afghans. But alas, Florida isn't all that conducive to selling scarves and heavy afghans, after all you have to have some winter weather to need those things.
Over the last 6 months, 3 people have suggested that I try selling them on Etsy. So a few weeks ago, Gary and I actually started to consider it. We're going to give this a whirl. After all, the best case scenario is that we find a way to make some extra money and put the enormous amount of yarn that I've gathered to good use. Or, the worst case scenario is that I crash and burn and we are out a little money for set up.
So, I would love to ask all of my faithful readers to take a moment and trek over to my new site at Etsy called Designs From Dani. Take a look around, let me know what you think of the place. Please, buy something, pass the website on to a friend, or just keep our little endeavor in your prayers.
(ps - Special thanks to Sara and Rachel Abernathy for modeling my scarves and toboggans, and to Hannah Abernathy, for taking all the pictures.)

You May Also Like

3 random thoughts