Zion Rest April Meeting

by - 3:54 PM

I wasn't sure that we would make the meeting in Jasper this year, but when I heard that they were going to be having Elder Michael Gowens in, I couldn't resist. I haven't heard Bro. Michael in several years, but always enjoy his writings and sermons so it was an extra special treat this past weekend. Elder David Crawford was unable to attended because he had 3 members die this past week and had several funerals to preach, and the doctor told him that he needed to take a break from traveling because he's worked himself sick. We were able to hear several other ministers along with Bro. Michael though - Elders John Yadamec, Bobby Paine, Silas Ford, and even Adam and Derrick who are exercising now.He had excellent sermons all weekend that I really needed. Friday night he preached from Jonah 2:1-4 "Then Jonah prayed unto the LORD his God out of the fish's belly, And said, I cried by reason of mine affliction unto the LORD, and he heard me; out of the belly of hell cried I, and thou heardest my voice. For thou hadst cast me into the deep, in the midst of the seas; and the floods compassed me about: all thy billows and thy waves passed over me. Then I said, I am cast out of thy sight; yet I will look again toward thy holy temple." His particular emphasis was on the 4th verse, and told us that there is always hope. That no matter how bad things got we should continue to look to the Lord. When we feel overwhelmed to look again, and if when we pray we don't feel like we have an answer to pray again. It was truely the best sermon of the weekend. Incredibly uplifting.
Then I really appreciated Sunday morning sermon as well. It was on dealing with loneliness. I struggle alot with loneliness, especially since moving to Florida. He talked alot about how we can be lonely, and gave us Biblical examples of those who were lonely - David, Elijah, Paul, and ultimately the Lord. He told us some reason why we might feel to be alone, and said that the best way to beat the loneliness was one to remember that the Lord never will leave us or forsake us, and next to that to suround ourselves with His children, our brothers and sisters in the Church in good and Godly fellowship.
He had great sermons on Saturday too, one on "Total Depravity", one on "Why others don't Believe", and one on "Staying Young Spiritually", but I had to go out several times with Britt on Saturday so I'm looking forward to getting the tapes from those sermons.
We had a great time visiting together as well. Everyone wanted to hold Britt because in Whitney's words "He's the chillest," and other than Saturday night when he threw a fit and we had to go outside for a while, he was as good as gold. We stayed at the Wouter's household, and got to have a few good conversations with Blaire and Sis. Sharon. Laura and I also visited alot too. Gary seemed to enjoy his evening out with Dustin and Austin at the Kitchen's household. It was such a spirit filled time, where we were able to strengthen and encourage one another. I'm not sure that I've heard as good of preaching since this time last year. I always seem enjoy the sermons I hear at this meeting.
I'm still rejoicing in the things we heard. However, I'm ashamed to say how quickly after Sunday's sermon that loneliness seemed to overtake me - aka last night. I suppose by this weekend when we head over to Antioch's meeting I will need to be reminded again of these things.

You May Also Like

1 random thoughts