Songs

by - 4:21 AM

Songs are powerful sorts of things. They speak to us in a way that ordinary words cannot. They stay in your mind unlike the way a normal sort of phrase slips away. There is one hymn in particular that has been traveling with me for a few months now. It crept in one day almost out of nowhere, a song I had not heard in some time. The next week I kept catching myself humming it at work. Then about two months ago, my grandmother requested at Church four or five Sundays in a row. I now know all five verses by heart and it is truely a song that continually is dwelling in me richly in all wisdom, as an admonishment and an uplifting grace from the Lord the way that Colossians 3:16 talks of.

So what song you ask? "How Happy's Ev'ry Child of Grace." Who wouldn't love that song. For the lyrics see here, http://thechildofgrace-lyrics.blogspot.com/#115570486562238082 They also have a great new cd with abunch of hymn singing.

It just makes you wander what circumstances, what leading or revealing of God brought Charles Wesley to pin these words. I tried to discover, but alas there seemed to be no information available, all I found is that he composed many of his songs while riding around on his white pony in London streets. He never wrote a song before he felt the Lord in his life and after that he wrote over 7500 hymns. The music that we sing it too, isn't the original either. I wondered what lead E. J. King to write new music when the first Sacred Harp book was published, or when the people started singing it that way. Curious things to think on.

You May Also Like

1 random thoughts