Hold thou me up, and I shall be safe: -Psalm 119:117

by - 3:45 AM

Today I almost killed my youngest brother.

I was driving home (to Decatur) from Florence. Benji was reading my Christian-Science Monitors and I was driving and singing along with Rascal Flatts. We were arguing about what this nuclear bomb in North Korea meant. We pulled up to the light on 20 at North Courtland, and stopped beside a silver car, behind them a charcoal grey car. The light turned green and we took back off. I was in the left lane, and was looking to get back into the right lane. So I got up to speed (being somewhere between 65 and maybe as much a 70), looked in the review mirror, looked in the side mirror, and looked back over my shoulder—no car. However, up ahead in the right hand lane, there was a silver car. I started to move back over when Benjamin looked and said, “CAR!” Ok more like shouted. I jerked the wheel (way, way, overcompensating) almost ended up in the left hand ditch. Then still like a freaked out idiot, I jerked it back in the other direction. We spun around once, maybe twice. And stopped facing West, in the East bound lane. The silver car was way gone, and the charcoal grey car was stopped about 6 feet from my bumper.

I sat there for a minute, and asked Benjamin if he was ok. He was like, “Yeah, that was cool, like a roller-coaster.” The guy in the charcoal car, looked concerned. I waved that we were ok, and he took off. Way down the road the silver car had stopped. The guy in it got out walked around it and drove off. I backed up completely off the road, and straightened up. We got out and I walked around the car twice. I went from like 65 to zero, in less than 5 seconds, and it took me less than 30 feet to come to a very complete stop. There are serious black marks on the road.

Unlike Benji, I’m a very good driver. I like to get up and go on the highway, but I’m very careful and have never managed a wreak. I drive a Pontiac Sunfire, and the back windows are terrible to try to see out of, Benji had the seat all the way back, and I just couldn’t see my blind spot and all as well as I thought. Benjamin isn't stupid, very, very strange, yes, but stupid no. However, I don’t think he realized just what could have happened. We could have hit either car, the trees on the side of the road, either ditch. We could have rolled, wrapped around something, or flipped. We could have been seriously injured, crushed in the car like one of our other brothers several years ago when he was hit by a F-150, or killed. However, we were completely safe, everyone else was completely safe, and there was no damage to my car at all.

It was definitely not my driving that saved us. The Lord was very much there. Isn’t He better than we deserve and ever so merciful? Really need I say more?

You May Also Like

2 random thoughts