A Land Remembered Multimedia Tour

by - 10:17 AM

Yesterday evening we attended an event that we heard about through our local library, about the book "A Land Remembered."  Memaw came too, and got her book signed, but our book is still with a friend, we have loaned it out so many times, that I almost another copy.  Britt and Ruth came too.  The show had tons of video clips by the author Patrick Smith who passed away 6 years ago, and was given by his son, Rick Smith (Patrick Jr.).  I have read the book aloud many times for Gary, especially on road trips, and the kids have heard bits and pieces of it over the years.  We would highly recommend it.  Afterward, there were refreshments downstairs in the art gallery and we enjoyed looking at the Florida themed art as well.  Ruth and I found a picture that we decided Gary could get for us, for only $1700.  Needless to say, I don't expect to ever own any real art.  For this week's blog post I wanted to get the two of them together to share their thoughts about the show.


Momma:  What was your favorite part of the show yesterday?
Britt:  The video of the alligator eating a water buffalo.  It was about a part of the book where they lose a bunch of cows to gators.
Ruth:  I think some of my favorite part, was his (Rick's) imagination, with the tour bus, plane, and semis to take this show on the road.  He said, the semi's are parked outside with my tour bus, and I whispered to Britt, in his imagination.

Momma:  Share one thing you learned about Florida history yesterday.
Ruth:   I learned that in Mississippi there were lakes and stuff for you to swim in, but in Florida you couldn't swim in lakes because alligators might eat you.  Patrick at 13 for the first time in Florida he saw an actual swimming pool made of concrete in 1940.
Britt:  People from Florida were originally called Florida crackers from the sound of a cattle whip.  It is not an insult here.  The man teaching yesterday, was no good with a whip, we saw a video that was funny.

Momma:  Do you think you would have liked coming to the Florida wilderness during the Civil War and starting a life just using the tools you brought?
Britt:  Yes.  It would be a fun adventure and I like the woods.  It would have been worth the hardships, a near starvation for two years.  Beside I could always eat Ruth. hahahahahaha
Ruth:  I like living out in the country, wilderness with the animals.  But it is also really hard, there is not much food, and it would be a long journey, but if it was actually peaceful it would be fun.  Not like during the Civil War.

Momma:  What would life be like if you had never meet another kid and rarely saw another adult until you were 18 years old, because you lived in such an isolated place?
Ruth:  It would be hard and lonely, but you could also see things differently than other people.
Britt:  Easy and fun, because I wouldn't have to worry about anyone messing up my cabin while hunting and other things.

Momma:  What did you think about the part of the book, where he said, that this is God's land, and we are just tenets for a little while, and that he must surely be angry with what we have done in developing Miami?
Britt:  The woods were gone forever, and that makes me sad.  But I am happy because I like restaurants, and baseball fields, and being able to run to Walmart.
Ruth:  It makes me feel sad in ways, because all the animals are gone.  There is no wildlife or forest to explore.  Or take a vacation out in the country like what we read about in Rascal.  But, it makes me happy that we have Walmart and roads, and towns to live in.  I like having friends nearby, but I like living in the country and the olden days sounds kinda fun.  Where it was free almost and no one was there.  Life is easier by far, but sometimes it's a little too easy.


You May Also Like

0 random thoughts