9 Months with Kate

by - 11:24 AM

2-24, 9 months old!
Katherine,

9 months old, time sure does seem to fly.  You aren't walking on your own yet, but it won't be long.  You are getting pretty adept at cruising, and sometimes in my room, you stand, and manage to push my rolling caddy around the room, slowly, slowly stepping behind it.  You hang onto my pants for dear life when I'm in the kitchen, trying to move about.  And as I step, you slowly step along with me, to avoid letting go.  More and more though you are letting go of the furniture after you have pulled up and are trying to stand there.  Yesterday morning, you stood long enough for me to count out loud slowly to 22 before you lost your balance and sat down with a thud.  Your escapades have you sporting some sort of bruise or knot on your head most of the time these days.  Sometimes if you fall particularly hard on the tile you cry, but most of the time you are quick to be up and going at it again.

1-27, Making Tuna Fish with Momma.
One of your two bottom teeth seems to be all the way in, the other is in a bit, but not really all the way.  You don't seem to be working on any other teeth, but you are constantly chewing.  I say it all the time, but you are the mouthiest kid we have every had.  You literally are always chewing on something, and rarely the somethings that are approved baby toys.  You have a strong liking for power cords and paper.  In fact, you had rather eat paper than Cheerios.  I know because I put both on your high chair tray yesterday, and you promptly shoved the entire post it note in your mouth and I had to fish it out.  As you might expect from someone who finds paper so very tasty, there are still no foods that you have refused.  We are doing more and more table food, we just gave you ground hamburger from tacos and lasagna in the last week and a half.  You are nursing less and less.  You probably take a bottle of formula about half the time now.  I'm trying to keep you nursing, and hate giving you a bottle, because that just makes it less likely to be able to keep up my supply.  You still want to nurse, ESPECIALLY when you are sleepy.  In fact it's about the only way to get you to sleep.  But, you don't seem to be getting all that much milk that way these days.

1-29, Eating Cheerios while everyone else does school.
Your sleeping has improved some in the last few weeks.  There are still nights where you cry in your bed for close to 2 hours, but they are fewer than before.  And you have only woke up during the night 3 times in the last 2.5 weeks.  That's a relief.  Your Momma is a serious grouch on no sleep.  You have also gone back to napping around lunch for about 20 minutes, but occasionally as long as an hour and 20 minutes in the last few weeks.  You don't nap every day, but when we are at home you do.  And if we are out and about, driving for 20 minutes or so, you almost always fall asleep in the carseat.
1-31, Trying to help me feed you supper.
You definitely have a clear preference for me these days.  You are still happy to go to anyone, and to let anyone hold you, but you prefer me.  Last Saturday I went out in the yard with Daddy a minute to talk about which trees were our priorities on our tree trimming budget.  While I was out there, you were in the floor with the older kids, playing.  You decided though that you needed me.  So off you set crawling to our bedroom crying, but I wasn't there.  So back up you came, and headed to the front porch.  You have learned if I'm not in the main part of the house, if you can't find me, I'm usually in one of those two places.  Britt trailed behind you, and when we walked around the house, to the front, he said, "Kate's been looking for you."  You immediately smiled when you saw me, and quit crying when I picked you up.  You just wanted me.

2-15, Playing on the front porch.
Another day that week, after ball practice I went to get a shower.  Daddy was cooking supper, and you again were in the living room with everyone else.  When you decided you needed me, you started crying, when I didn't immediately appear you started down the hallway to our room.  When I got out of the shower you were standing at the side of my bed, holding on to it and crying, and apparently you had been doing that nearly 20 minutes.  You were convinced I was sitting on the bed, and you just weren't tall enough to see over the top.  You looked shocked when I came walking out of the bathroom, and dropped to all fours and made a beeline for me to pick you up.

2-1, Getting ready to go for a walk.
Little Love, we adore you so much.  Everyone remarks just how happy and content you are.  You bring such joy to everyone in this family.

I love you,
Love,
Momma

2-24, Pick me up already, Momma!

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts