5 Years With Rebecca

by - 1:37 PM

Rebecca,

Five years old, what a big girl you are.  You are such a firecracker - independent, opinionated, stubborn when you don't want to do something, fierce when you do.  You are boisterous and wild, either passionate and enthusiastic, or heels dug in and obstinate.  There is no middle ground with you.  You love things or hate them.  You have already told me today, with much shriekiness, that this is "ABSOLUTELY THE BEST BIRTHDAY EVER!!!" And you have also told me that it's the "WORST BIRTHDAY, REALLY WORST BIRTHDAY that ANYone EVER HAD!"


You are entertaining.  Our class clown, always making us laugh.  You are so silly.  You have the ability like Grumps to laugh at yourself and find humor in the most unlikely places.  It never seems to bother you when others laugh at you.  I admire that you don't seem to take yourself too seriously.


You're unbelievably bright with school.  This year you were so insistent that you needed your own school books too.  I didn't intend to start you early.  I was in no rush, and I assumed that like last year, you'd last a few weeks, and then be "done."  But you have shocked me.  You have been busy, and left me often scrambling to assemble something for you.  I had lots of partially finished, assorted workbooks, from dollar stores, free curriculum tables, and friends.  You have nearly finished them all.  You've played lots of ABC mouse and other learning games, and have been begging me to teach you to read, so we started last week.  You have been so excited to start the Alpha Phonics book that the other two have been doing all year, and to sit in with them as they do All About Spelling.  You are the child who I punish by taking away school if you don't do your chores.  You just love learning, and love school.  I hope you keep that love of learning, even now I would go back to college and write papers, if only I didn't have to pay a fortune to do it.  I too love learning.


You remain a total wimp when it comes to housework.  Not so unlike me in that either.  I hate housework, particularly washing dishes.  You are more than happy when given the choice to let someone else have your money and them do your chores.  Again, not so much like your momma.  I'd love to pay someone to come clean house for me.  Unfortunately we are going to keep at it, because as I frequently point out, one day I'm going to kick you out of my house, and you are going to have to be able to keep your own.


You have been a great big sister, to Kate.  While you often complain in the car about having to help her hold her bottle, its mostly because it keeps you from holding the video player and watching your movie. You are quick to sing to her and play with her in the floor.  You often feel the need to tell her not to do stuff, and you seem to like to be in charge of watching her.  Another little power diva in the making.  You can't seem to wait till she can talk back to you.  Ruth can't wait till you and Kate can share a room, and you seem just as thrilled with the idea.


Starshine, you have so much life and energy.  Such possibility and potential.  I really believe that you can do or accomplish anything that you set your mind too.  I believe that you only have the limits that you set yourself.  Of all our children, you seem the most likely to challenge and overcome obstacles, and with your many interest - I can really imagine you doing almost anything with your life.

I love you, wild child of mine, I hope you always have your adventuresome spirit and zest for life.
Love,
Momma


You May Also Like

0 random thoughts