Britt's Room

by - 5:03 PM

Britt's Room
So after approximately a month and a half of slaving over the house, cleaning and painting everything there is, unboxing, reassembling, and rearranging the house.  I finally have the first room completed.  So today without further adieu I give you Britt's room.

Before
After (This one is a little dark)
When planning what I wanted to do with the house, in the couple of months before it official became ours.  I talked with the kids about what kind of rooms they wanted.  We even took an afternoon, me with each kid (one on one) and set them up a pinterest board, and we saved all sorts of pictures for ideas of what we wanted to do with their rooms.  Britt perhaps was most difficult in this respect because he wanted everything.  He wanted a superhero room (Marvel and DC comics), he wanted a Transformer room, and he wanted a Mario room.  He loves Texas and the American flag so he wanted some of that stuff.  He wanted angry birds and somewhere to keep his Auburn stuff and collectibles.  Even the room color was heavily debated.  First he wanted orange, which we were willing to discuss, but I pointed out that he couldn't have alot of orange stuff with orange walls.  Next he settled on dark blue.  After painting it he said, maybe red like his Pennsylvania room would have been better.  I told him it wasn't going to be repainted but we'd have lots of red in the room.  I feel like even though the room is pretty eclectic with all the stuff he has going on in there, we've managed to pull it together in a way that won't drive me batty.  He has superheros over his bed and on his door.  He has a Transformer bedspread that he got for Christmas to go with his Angry Bird sheets.  We've got his Texas and American flag stuff hung up. And I think all the colors work well together.  The only thing he doesn't have that he really wanted was a vinyl wall poster thing (like those Fat Heads) of the Transformers.  He doesn't know it yet, but I think I found one the right size to fit his closet door, and it's wrapped up in my closet for his birthday.  We told him that we couldn't hang them on his walls because of how heavily textured they are.
After

Before




The paint does a world of good for this room.  Even though dark colors usually make a room look smaller, before the walls were dingy and dirty looking.  Part of that was the amount of cat fur stuck to them, but alot was the color.  We went with glossy white trim all through the house, over the off white, which also helped alot.  Additionally, the fan in Britt's room didn't work, so there was no overhead light.  Mister replaced that which gives an extraordinary amount of light in there now.  Britt's room is also shaded on the Northside by the screened in porch, but I feel like he still gets alot of light through that window in the day time.  I think the change in window coverings helps alot too.  I decided I wanted to go with Roman shades in the bedrooms, because unlike blinds they can completely knock the light out of a room.  We want to encourage these kids to sleep in.  But in the day when they are up, I think not only do they look really nice, but they let so much light in, and give you such a clear view out into the yard.  (I imagine whenever I finally get around to cleaning the windows, that will be even better.)

Got Superman on the door, and his Spider-man pinata hanging by the closet doors.

In his closet we have his clothes all on one side, and the dress up clothes for all the kids on the other.  Gary installed shelves on both sides to give him some extra storage.  Of course all of that was after I painted his closet too.  It's really functional, but clean and looks nice.  Ultimately, Britt and I are both super happy with how his room turned out.

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts