Our 6th Anniversary

by - 8:35 AM

My Dearest Gary Britt,

We have been married six years - that is 3 kids, 6 moves in 3 different states, and many different jobs since we started out.  I sat down the other day, to again watch our wedding vows, the ones I'm still convinced Bro. Ronald was making up on the spot.  You agreed to "accept the bible as your guide, to follow it's instructions to love with a self-sacrificing, never diminishing, eternal love, to take her into your watch care and provide in such a way that she will have the utmost respect for you" and you promised "to love her as Christ loves the Church, and gave himself for her, to nurse and cherish her as my own self, to love and support her in all circumstances of life."  I can truly say you do all of these things.You continue to be such a beautiful picture to me of Christ's love for his bride. I could not respect you more for all that you have done to provide for me, the countless interviews, applications, and miles traveled to find work, the odd jobs worked until something better came along.  You have continued steadfast, when other men would have long ago, given up in despair; when other men would have been content to draw a government check.  You have always tried to look at what the Lord would have us do according to His word rather than what has been tradition, or is the current fad out in the world.  We've done "in sickness and in health," as you have helped me through some very difficult pregnancies.  We've done "in poverty and in wealth,: well, not wealth yet, but I'm hoping we get to try that out soon.

I agreed "to recognize the scripture as my guide, to love him as my husband, be in submission to him as it is in the Lord, and reverence him as my husband according to God's inspired word in all circumstances of life." These simple gold bands we exchanged "are tokens love, faithfulness, dedication to each other, and commitment" just like God's love is without end, so are these bands.  One of the two verses we used was I Corinthians 13:4-8,
Charity suffereth long, and is kind; charity envieth not; charity vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up, Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil; Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth; Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things. Charity never faileth..."
I have tried but failed so often in these things. I have jokingly said that I don't recall promising anything about submission. I can be head strong and prideful.  There are times that I seek my own, rather than doing for you.  Sometimes I don't bear all things or endure all things very well.  No matter how often I have failed you, you don't fail me.  Another picture of Christ's love for us.

We have been through so much together in six years, but even the last year has involved 2 moves, 2 new jobs, and a second round of unemployment.  You continue to be my steady rock in all the changes of life.  I have often said that I would go anywhere for you, and any trials are made doable with you by my side.  There is so much I admire about you, but your steadfastness in these things, your ability to find humor in life, your continuing corny and silly romanticism would all have to rank near the top of the list.

However, the thing I continue to love most about you, Dearest, is how you prioritize Church.  Since making this latest move, our commute time to Church on a Sunday morning is basically 2 1/2 hours.  We try to leave by 8, to pick up breakfast and make it by 10:30.  It has never been a question if we are going, it has never even crossed your mind to go to another order of people nearby, and you never complain at all about the distance.  While we desire to be closer, you wouldn't hesitate to drive twice as far.  While we miss being in the middle of a community of believers and interacting with everyone on a daily basis, we soak up all we can on Sundays.  Not only do you carry us all to Church, not only do you not complain, but you in no way view it as a hardship.  In fact, you seem a little embarrassed when people make over it, like it is a big deal.  This more than anything in our married life, tells me where your priorities are, because when you work as hard as you do all week, and as long of hours as you work, even often on Saturdays, it would be all too easy to sleep in and lay around the house on Sunday.  Even when others have encouraged us to rest, you have been adamant that we might sacrifice other things, but never Church so long as we are able to attend.

I continue to thank God for the man you are, for allowing me to have you in my life, for His care over you and us, and I pray that He will give us many more years together.  I love you.

~your dani~

You May Also Like

0 random thoughts