9 Years with Britt

by - 11:45 AM


My Britty Boy,

How in the world can you be 9 today?  Halfway to 18 and gone, as your Daddy gleefully pointed out.


We have had alot of challenges this year.  There are times I feel like we need to apologize to you.  In someways parenting your sisters are easier, after all you have gone before them, we've already figured out by trial and error many things that will and won't work.  In many ways too they aren't as challenging as you are.  There are times I feel like I should apologize to you as we blunder through figuring out how to parent in the ever changing circumstances, how to parent through your unique challenges.  You continually challenge my will and determination, you continually challenge my preconceived notions and ideas, you continually challenge me to dig deeper for empathy, patience, understanding, and clever solutions.  There are times that I feel like our relationship brings out the worst and the best in me.


We are so alike in so many ways: headstrong, defiant, determined and unflappable.  When you make up your mind to something you are faithful and undeterred no matter the challenges.  You are also deeply thoughtful.  I have said it many times, though I never continue to be surprised how you bring back up topics after days and weeks, and how much thought you have given them before you ask me questions.  In that you remind me of Grumps.


Though I have not written much about it, because you weren't ready to share, this year was a tough one for you with school.  After so many struggles particularly since your birthday, I decided that we needed to do some testing, to see if I could find some better tools and strategies for working with you.  You were diagnosed in May with ADHD and dyslexia. I felt pretty lousy afterward, I had been fussing at you and pushing you, frustrating you, literally trying to require and force you to do what you weren't yet capable of doing.  Expecting what was unreasonable, without equipping you with what you needed to meet those challenges.  Since the beginning of May I have read widely, to educate myself to educate you.  We've talked to others who have faced the challenge of these same diagnosis, and read the stories of notable men and women and all they have accomplished often due to these conditions, because while they both pose many challenges, they also grant many advantages.  And this school year you have thrived.  You have met the challenge of reading and writing with new determination, and I have approached guiding you with greater patience and compassion.  You have progressed more rapidly than I would have hoped.  History has become your new favorite subject, and one that I most especially love sharing with you.  I can't tell you how proud it makes me to see you dig in and work especially when it's hard, when you are determined to master something, to not let it best you.














This year you have also had alot of new opportunities.  We had a PE class this year.  I think you have enjoyed learning about basketball, and I know that it's been good for you to have time with a man, and not just always be surrounded by women.  You have really enjoyed Mr. Daryel.  You have started 4-H, you have been learning about pigs in Pig Co, and perhaps this fall you will get to raise one for show.  But your favorite part of 4-H has been shooting club, where you are learning about archery and using a pellet gun.  We have all participated with some home school friends in town in a Book Club this year.  You have enjoyed the books, and getting together to discuss them and play together.  We've made some good friends through the experience.  You have missed Zane and Sebastian so much since we left PA, and it's been wonderful to see you make some new friends in Wyatt, Dillon, and Nevin.  In fact, you insisted on a birthday party this coming weekend and inviting all of them, along with one other homeschooling family in town that we don't get to see as often.


You seem to be taller every morning.  I'll be curious to see what the doctor says about you next Monday.  You have long outgrown your bike, and will be getting a new bigger bike for your birthday tonight.  I'm looking forward to you learning to ride without training wheels.  I remember a bike meant freedom, and I can't wait to give you that new privilege.   You are moving up this year in baseball, but you are so excited to be playing again.














You also became a big brother yet again this year.  And though you were most insistent that she was going to prove to be a boy, and you were so convinced that you only wanted a brother.  You daily prove what a loving spirit and a compassionate heart you have with Kate.  You have always been such a caring and compassionate brother.  So loving with your sisters, always quick to include them in everything.  One of your friends this year, isn't fond of playing with girls - at all!  But you have insisted to Ruth that you are going to talk to him, that you are going to get him to include her, so that he shares with her too.  You have "taught" Rebecca all the finer points of sword fights, and as much as she loves to play with Barbies, she also loves to be your sidekick in every adventure.  My favorite thing to watch you do, is to watch the way you show them love and kindness by including them.














I hope you continue to reach for the impossible.  I hope you keep pushing your limits and growing.  I hope you continue to be curious, explore, tinker, and seek new answers to your problems.  One day you may find a cure for cancer, or invent a flying car, or revolutionize business.  Perhaps you will shape some entirely new field that doesn't yet exist, much like the internet wasn't even a thought in the minds of the public 50 years ago.  You are bright, compassionate, and have so much to offer, and I'm so thankful to be your mother.  We pray that God continues to bless you all your days.

We love you,
Momma


You May Also Like

0 random thoughts