Ruth's Baptism

by - 6:25 PM

Ruth on Sunday 1-29-12 and Sunday 1-29-17. Hard to believe what a difference 5 years makes.
Ruth was baptized a few weeks ago. I'm not sure I have ever seen her quite so happy and giddy with excitement. But she is most always so happy it's hard to be sure. She out of nowhere Christmas day, while sitting in Church asked me if she could be baptized. I told her that we could talk about it after Church. But I was really surprised. Unlike Britt, which we saw coming from a mile away, we didn't see this coming. If anything Ruth who loves the people she sees at Church and the lunch she eats ever week there, has never cared for anything more than that. She has always been impatient for Church to be over, and gets this giddy little voice when she would tell me that it says "11:50, that means it's almost time for preaching to be over!"


However, I mentioned it to Gary that evening, but it was Friday night before the three of us could sit down and really talk about it together.  Like with Britt we told her that what she wanted to do was two parts, first it was telling everyone that she knew what God had done for her and second she was promising to be faithful to the Church living a life of service.  I didn't think she was ready, but Gary said it couldn't hurt to let her talk with Bro. Chris.  So we mentioned it to him, and he spoke to her at the New Year's Eve picnic.  When I asked her what they talked about, all she said was alot of stuff, but to pray to know when it was time for her to join.  Gary and I decided to sit on it, hoping she'd wait a while longer, after all it's a big commitment, especially when you are 6.5.  We thought maybe we'd revisit the issue in a few months after the Fellowship Meeting.  But she kept bringing the topic up.


In the meantime the Sunday of Christmas she had also asked me for paper to make notes like I do.  So I gave her a notebook and she had been listening and keeping notes for several weeks.  She quit napping during services.  At home, her biggest failing had been having a whiny attitude about clothes and her younger sister.  But we saw an abrupt change in that, a very noticeable decrease in that behavior in the weeks leading up to Christmas.  Don't get me wrong, they still fight I caught them at it just this afternoon, but it isn't near as frequent, and her attitude in general has improved.  When she began insisting again, I thought perhaps it was time.

We asked her if she wanted to be baptized that day to do communion that night, or wait a Sunday so Grumps and Ahna could come.  She decided to wait a Sunday if that was ok.  I told her I thought it was ok to wait, that if she lived to 70 and on average sat in communion twice a year, she could wash feet a total of 128 times in her life; but she'd only ever be baptized once.  It ended up being two weeks before we could have her baptism.  But she was so eager.  We initially planned to do it the following Sunday, but it looked like it would be impossible for Grumps and Ahna to come down.  When we asked her if she could wait one more Sunday, her reply was "It would be easier to remember that I was baptized on Britt's 8th birthday, but next Sunday is ok."


We asked her if she wanted to be baptized that day to do communion that night, or wait a Sunday so Grumps and Ahna could come.  She decided to wait a Sunday if that was ok.  I told her I thought it was ok to wait, that if she lived to 70 and on average sat in communion twice a year, she could wash feet a total of 128 times in her life; but she'd only ever be baptized once.  It ended up being two weeks before we could have her baptism.  But she was so eager.  We initially planned to do it the following Sunday, but it looked like it would be impossible for Grumps and Ahna to come down.  When we asked her if she could wait one more Sunday, her reply was "It would be easier to remember that I was baptized on Britt's 8th birthday, but next Sunday is ok."



For her baptism, she called out her favorite song, "I'll Fly Away" 363 in the number 12.  She asked me to make two braids and had picked out the prettiest pink dress with butterflies on it.  It was a little long, but I told her it would be ok.  Right before hand, she said she was a little nervous, and sat on the step and held her breath as long as she could.  Then asked if that would be long enough.  I told her Bro. Chris wouldn't hold her under even that long.  So up the steps she went.  She had the biggest smile, the kind that makes her eyes squish up almost until they disappear.  When she went in the baptistery to Bro. Chris, the water was up to her chest, and if she'd slipped we joked later, she would have baptized herself.  Afterward, on the way home Ruth couldn't quit saying how happy she was, and Rebecca told her, "I don't wanna get bab-i-tized."  I told her good that she was too little anyway, but that she should be happy for Ruth.  Rebecca said "Me like it when Roof is happy, but me not getting bab-i-tized."

I wish we could have gotten a picture with both sets of Grandparents, but Mister
was on turn around at work, and left before we could get a picture with them.
Ruth has been the happiest little girl and we are so happy for her.  We hope that she always finds such happiness in God's house and in His service.  I hope she can always remember this day.  She has always had the most giving heart, she took her own money this year to buy Britt a birthday present, and she was more excited about giving it to him, than he was about getting it.  She almost never complains when I ask her to do something around the house, and even offers to help out with things before I ask.  I hope she always uses that desire to help others and give to others and do for others in a way that will glorify God.


You May Also Like

0 random thoughts