Mother's Day

by - 9:25 PM

This year was my first Mother's Day, and don't you know we didn't take but one lousy picture and this one was it. It was pouring before Church and afterward Britt was asleep for awhile. To top it all off, I was sick. We didn't end up taking a picture until much later in the day.

My life has changed dramatically in the last year. Last Mother's Day I strongly suspected, but didn't know that I was pregnant and this year I have an almost 4 month old son. Motherhood isn't something that anyone can truely be prepared for in my meager opinion. It's more love and joy than I could have imagined. It's also more frustrating and tiresome than I ever imagined. (Above: Mother holding me, the day after Mother's Day. I was a few hours old)
It gives me a whole new appreciation for the heartache and trouble that Mother went through with me. It makes me miss her even more, and often want her advice. Especially funny since I don't guess I ever wanted her advice or opinion when I was growing up. Daddy always said that we argued so much because we were so alike - each determined that our way was the only way to do something and wanting it done perfectly in that way. That use to make me mad, but not anymore, I think that I could be a whole lot worse things than being like her. (Above: Mother and me at my wedding.)
I wonder how with four of us she ever managed to do ANYTHING that she wanted, even being at home all day, with only one I don't seem to get anything accomplished. She has alot of strength and determination to do all that she does, and most of it behind the scenes, often with little to no acknowledgement from me and the boys. She is a good wife, mother, and teacher. Daddy says he had no direction in life until he met her. I obviously am happy she decided to marry him, after all I wouldn't be here. All of this while teaching for over 25 years, and touching numerous lives as a teacher. She is an inspiration. (Above: Mother holding me at 2 1/2 months old, in the baby bonnet that Aunt Rachel made for me.)(Above: Mother, Daddy, and me at 4 months old) I have been blessed with some great parents, and now that I'm a parent I just hope that I can be half of the parent to Britt that they have been for me. They gave me many oppertunities. They were one of the rare parents who could help me with all of my school work: Mother was always willing to look over my papers for grammer and spelling and even in college I could call Daddy for help working a math problem over the phone. They encouraged to do things in the community: I volunteered at the local library for 5 summers or more. They encouraged me develop my talents, I was able to take art lessons for several years and they sacrificed time and money. They tried to encourage me to be a bit more athletic, though that never took so well: Daddy spent alot of time teaching me to catch pop-flies (I was so rotten at that) and Mother didn't miss a single game. Later in High School, they went all over the state for Cross Country meets. Most importantly, unlike some of the parents of my friends, they were there for me. I don't spose I really appreciated it, but looking back I never had to wonder if I was loved. I hope one of these days, maybe Britt will be able to say, even though I had too many rules, nagged, and drove him crazy, that his Momma undoubtable loved him.

You May Also Like

1 random thoughts